Skip to main content

MUSC Buildings and Facilities

The information contained on this page is updated regularly. Please report any errors or omissions to the Waring Historical Library. Information about photographs of MUSC buildings, click here. If you don't see the answer to your question, please contact the University Archivist.


Buildings & Facilities Timeline

Year Events
1826 College acquired its first permanent building on the corner of Queen and Franklin streets
1825-1832 US Arsenal built; St. Luke’s Chapel originally artillery shed. Known as St. Timothy’s Chapel during the period of Porter Military Academy; in 1966 renamed for St. Luke, the patron saint of physicians.
1852 First Roper Hospital completed on Queen Street for use as city hospital and teaching hospital for the Medical College of South Carolina.
1856 Roper Hospital opened for regular use (briefly used in 1854 yellow fever epidemic)
1861 Colcock Hall built as a foundry by the Confederate States of America government on the site of the US Arsenal. After being use for classrooms by Porter Military Academy, Colcock Hall was the first building to be used by the School of Dental Medicine in 1865. Later University Press, Alumni Association, Public Relations, Development, and the Waring Historical Library used the building. After extensive restoration, it opened as the MUSC Administration Offices in 2006.
1886 First Roper Hospital closed due to earthquake damage.
1894 Waring Historical Library originally built as a library for the Porter Military Academy and named for Reverend Charles Hoffman of New York, who provided the construction cost of $7,500. Dedicated in 1969 as the Waring Historical Library, named for Dr. Joseph I. Waring.
1906 Second Roper Hospital built on the corner of Calhoun and Lucas streets.
1914 Medical College of the State of South Carolina established as state institution in 1913; the first building of the state institution completed in 1914 on Jonathan Lucas (previously Barre) and Calhoun streets. Later, the Hollings Cancer Center is built on that site and included the original façade from the 1914 building.
1920 Physiology-Pharmacology building (building D of the Quadrangle) built.
1930 Library-Pathology building built on the corner of Jonathan Lucas (previously Barre) and Calhoun streets. When a new library was built in 1971, the building housed offices. It was torn down in 1982. The Hollings Cancer Center was later built on this site.
1940 Outpatient-Laboratory building built, buildings C and E of the Quadrangle.
1940 Simon Baruch Auditorium added to the Medical College. Bernard Baruch gave the building in memory of his father, for whom the building is named.
1946 Third Roper Hospital opened (started construction in 1943).
1952 Laboratory-Clinic building, or Cancer Clinic, constructed, with the College of Pharmacy occupying the fourth floor. By the 1970s the College of Pharmacy occupied the entire building.
1954 Alumni Memorial House, a dormitory, built.
1955 Medical College Hospital opened as the teaching hospital for the Medical College.
1956 School of Nursing building built.
1959 Second Roper Hospital Building closed.
1962 Research Building built, named for Robert Petrie Walton, Ph.D., in 1982.
1963 Porter Military Academy property acquired for $1,136,000. MUSC retained three buildings from the site for use by the university: St. Luke’s Chapel, the Waring Historical Library, and Colcock Hall.
1965 Pinehaven Tuberculosis Sanatorium converted to the Charleston Memorial Hospital, and a wing was added.
1966 Veteran’s Administration Hospital built.
1970 Basic Sciences/College of Dental Medicine Building opened.
1970 Castle Pinckney Inn purchased and used for Continuing Education programs and later used as a parking lot and helicopter pad.
1971 Construction completed on the Library-Administration Building (started in 1970)
1972 Parking Garage I added, a few years later a portion of it is enclosed for offices.
1975 Macaulay Museum of Dental History erected to house the collection of dental antiques and artifacts of Dr. Neill W. Macaulay of Columbia.
1975 Clinical Sciences Building constructed.
1976 Storm Eye Institute opened.
1976 College of Allied Health Sciences Building completed in August. Located at the corner of President and Bee streets, the building housed classrooms, laboratories, and administrative offices of the College of Allied Health Sciences.
1977 University Services Building built, which became part of the Psychiatric Institute in 1989.
1977 Wickliffe Faculty-Alumni House purchased with donations from Margaret Wickliffe from West Union, S.C. The property included the Guest House.
1978 First National Bank building purchased.
1978 Two floors added to the Clinical Science building.
1979 Summerall Center (later called Harborview Office Tower) occupied by MUSC.
1982 Former Riverside Geriatric and Convalescent Center on Calhoun Street purchased to house the new Department of Family Medicine.
1984 Renovations of the Guest House complete.
1987 Sebring-Aimar house dedicated for use of Alumni Office and Development Office.
1987 Children’s Hospital opened (construction started in 1982).
1987 Parking Garage II dedicated.
1988 Institute of Psychiatry opened June 10.
1988 Red Cross building acquired, later housed Public Safety.
1989 Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston, S.C.; destroyed St. Luke’s Chapel. Damages to the remaining portions of the first Roper Hospital on Queen Street required demolition of building.
1991 Harborview Office Tower (formerly Summerall Center) purchased.
1992 MUSC Hospital’s North Tower dedicated.
1993 Stiles and Virginia Harper Student Center dedicated (groundbreaking 1988).
1993 Hollings Oncology Center renamed Hollings Cancer Center.
1994 Rededication of the restored St. Luke’s Chapel.
1997 Strom Thurmond Biomedical Research Center and the Gazes Cardiac Institute opened.
1998 Storm Eye Institute expansion and the Rutledge Tower Ambulatory Care Facility opened.
2000 MUSC’s Bone and Joint Center opened (May).
2001 Enterprise Community/MUSC Neighborhood Health Clinic opened (construction began in September 1999).
2002 Quadrangle D and C buildings demolished to make room for the new Hollings Cancer Institute expansion.
2005 Charles P. Darby Children’s Research Institute dedicated (February).
2005 Ashley-Rutledge Parking garage opened (June).
2005 College of Health Professional complex completed and opened (groundbreaking October 2003).
2005 Hollings Cancer Center Expansion Project completed (began 2001).
2006 James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine building construction begun (groundbreaking August 18).
2007 Ashley River Tower (ART) dedicated on October 12.
2008 Bee Street Parking Garage opened.
2009 Construction begun on the Drug Discovery Building (DDB) and the Bioengineering/Cancer Genomics Building (BEB).
2009 Library-Administration Building renamed James W. Colbert Education Center and Library.
2009 Dental Clinic opened.
2010 James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine dedicated.
2011 James Clyburn Plaza opened.
2011 Drug Discovery Building (DDB) and the Bioengineering/Cancer Genomics Building (BEB) dedicated.
2012 MUSC Health East Cooper opened in Mt. Pleasant (July 9).
2012 MUSC's Children's Rehabilitation Service Center, Sleep Center, and Wheelchair Seating and Mobility Clinic opens.
2013 Hollings Cancer Center dedicated a pavilion in honor of Dr. Carolyn E. Reed.
2015 Groundbreaking of MUSC Primary Care in Goose Creek (August 21).
2015 Zucker Institute for Applied Neurosciences is dedicated.
2015 North Charleston After Hours Primary Care Clinic opens.
2016 Groundbreaking for the MUSC Shawn Jenkins Children's Hospital and the Pearl Tourville Women's Pavilion (August 12).
2017 Groundbreaking for the MUSC Children's Health Ambulatory Campus in North Charleston (June 30).
2017 Innovation Station opens on the first floor of the Colbert Education Center and Library Building



175 Ashley Avenue | MSC 403 | Charleston, SC 29425 | (843) 792-2288