There are several steps you can take to make sure your research is accessible to a wide audience.
1. Open access (OA) publishing
- free to access and often has less restrictive copyright and licensing terms
- removes subscription cost barriers
- be aware of predatory/questionable journals
How open is it?
SPARC, PLOS, and OASPA have created a guide detailing the components that make up open access publishing. Click the image to view a larger PDF.
2. Write with "discoverability" in mind
- make sure title, abstract, keywords, etc. are clear and descriptive of your work
- reiterate keywords in abstract
- publish in a journal indexed in more databases
3. Use social media to promote your work
- reaches a wider audience
- easier to make connections with others in your field
- create an online profile